Saturday 13 October 2012


Day 9: Port Said.
Or rather, we await. The plush ferry arrives at the Suez Canal, Port Said. We can see Africa and the third continent of the trip, frickin amazing. I can almost make out the pyramids! There’re approx 40 vessels waiting in the waters near the coast, I wonder what they’re up to?
We stop moving ourselves, and Rob begins packing his bags. I jokingly offer “Why’re you doing that, we won’t be leaving for another day”. Wish I hadn’t said that... Four hours after arriving outside the port, it becomes clear we won’t be berthing, we’re going to be here for a minimum of twelve hours.
Rob’s having a great time, turns out his panniers and bags aren’t as waterproof as he thought. In fact, they aren’t waterproof at all. Brilliantly, he has my Lonely Planet guide book in one of his panniers, and it has absorbed water like only a bone dry sponge can. Still, not to worry, he takes all his kit up on the deck to let it dry out, should be fine. I’m reading my book in the cabin, when about four hours later he returns. Soaked. His kit had almost dried, he was just saying to himself he’d pick it all up, just ten more mins relaxing in the sun. But wait, hang on, why does he feel soaking wet suddenly? Oh, the pumps are pumping water on to the deck. Where him and all his kit is lying. High five!
I’ll give you an example of how plush the ferry is. When I got on board, I wandered around trying to find out where our cabin was. I wandered around aimlessly, and eventually found myself on the bridge of the ship. Just me. Brilliant. Although the captain did eventually turn up. So, shop? Yes. Products and staff? No. Bar? Yes. Drinks and staff? No. Restaurants? Yes. Food and staff? No. You get the picture... I think TAW loses some weight
So, very excited, but ultimately, it’s a little longer to wait. I imagine we’ll have to get used to this, I think the locals call it ‘Africa Time’! 

No comments:

Post a Comment