Monday 29 October 2012


Day 24: Luxor – Abu Simbel.

Well, not much you can say about this journey, it’s three hours to Aswan, and then about the same to Abu Simbel. I do get to ride across the Aswan Dam, and actually, riding next to the Nile for most of the day is pretty cool. Once past Aswan, there’s nothing but desert to Abu Simbel. I’ve a mild hangover, and 180 miles of straight featureless road is actually pretty hard work. After 100 miles, I need a break, and so checking there’s no traffic (there hasn’t been much since Aswan), I throw a right and ride out into the desert! Sweet! Riding across the sand is brilliant, there’re no roads, trails or paths. Just sand, me and Kirsty. When you hit about 60 or so, Kirsty gets a little weave going, but it’s OK and a great change from the tarmac. I wish I had a buddy with me on a similar bike so we could just head out into the desert and camp, but I’ve got to be careful, so head back to the road L 80 miles later, we hit AS, and follow our nose pretty much straight to the main temple. I get a couple of shots next to the Nasser Lake, and then search a hotel. All sorted, I’ve got about 15 mins before the sound and light show is on at the temple, so we shoot down, grab a ticket and find a seat.
I must say, that this knocks the socks of any movie experience I’ve ever had. IMAX and 3D movies can’t touch this, we’re actually in the movie. When the show starts, just some music and lights, I would recommend coming to Egypt just to see/experience this, it’s epic. Thus far, Egypt has exceeded all my expectations, It’s been glorious...

No comments:

Post a Comment