Monday 8 October 2012


Day 5: Duzce – Iskenderun. Odo started 27041
Like giant hands wrapped in ice cold mink fur, the cold air embraces me as I hit the road, into the mist and off towards Ankara. I’ve underestimated how cold it is, and how long it stays cold. I stop after about 50 miles and throw on my winter gloves, they’ll be with me until lunch.
I really enjoy this kind of travel, the scenery is pretty barren, but very hilly, if not quit mountainous. The roads are poor, jostling you about as you fly over the imperfections (which are numerous). Kirsty is perfect for this, the long travel suspension cosseting me like the ubiquitous magic carpet. I’ve no concerns, no one to worry about, just travelling. The traffic is light, but when all I can see is tarmac and the earth, I get a unique and glorious sensation of being just right. We’re seeing new lands, experiencing new views. It’s a sensational experience.
As I’m enjoying my day, a cop stands in the road and pulls me over. I was doing 116km/h, but I’m sure all the signs say the limit is 120? They do, but the limit for bikes is 100km/h, you’re just expected to guess this I imagine. Brilliantly though, he gives me a ticket, doesn’t take my passport details and I have 15 days to pay. So, I’m hoping to dodge that one at the border!
Feeling pretty happy with getting away with it, 25 minutes later I’m pulled again. And this guy won’t let me go without payment.  It’s all official though, there’s a police station by the road, and annoyingly he won’t let me leave until someone issues me a receipt. Ce la vie, and it’s not like I didn’t get a warning 25 minutes earlier...


We push on, and just as we’re nearing our destination, I get to watch a nice lightening storm, and after approx 540 miles, I’m looking forwards to a day off the bike!

No comments:

Post a Comment