Friday 26 October 2012


Day 23: Luxor – Valley of the Kings
What can you say about today. Karnak. The tombs in the Valley of the Kings are pretty crowded and busy, if you can get there early, seven or eight, they’d be better I think. I still get a good nosey around three tombs though. They’re pretty cool, and you can imagine the discovery being heart stopping. Out of here we head to Hutchsput (sp), this is pretty cool, nice to wander around and check out these epic buildings. Lunch comes around all too soon, and I’ve got Karnak and Luxor temples to sample. Karnak is unbelievable! In my mind, it overshadows everything else in Luxor and makes the journey down here worth it. The scale of this temple is crazy. One room houses 134 22ft high columns, it beggars belief. It’s one of those places, that any description is wasted. You’ve got to walk amongst it. The whole site covers 650 acres. Tough call between here and Ankor Wat as favourite sites I’ve seen. Luxor Temple, whilst undoubtedly cool, can’t compare. It’s a shame, as seeing them in the other order may have made them more enjoyable.
Heading to Abu Simbel tomorrow, the ferry’s in only a few days now. Egypt is coming to a close, Sudan awaits... 

1 comment:

  1. Rich,

    Hello mate, reading your posts takes me back to my trip in Egypt 11 years ago on the way to sunny London. I remember the same feeling of awe with the sites, how the hell did they make these things and why? Imagine getting that top piece onto the pyramid. Mind boggling, Abu simbel is of the same ilk.love reading the blog, stay safe, DC

    ReplyDelete