Thursday 25 October 2012


Day 22: Giza – Luxor; 480 miles
A pretty cool start to the day, we’re up and on the road by about six, Luxor is a long way away. I’m keen for us to get out of Cairo before traffic starts to build. We fuelled up about 150 miles ago, and as Rob approaches a fuel station, I encourage him to leave it until we’re on the edges of the city. Little did I know, we were on the edge of the city already...About ten miles later Rob has a minor spill, negotiating a tight turn, he over balances and falls. No one’s hurt, and the bike isn’t damaged.
We’ve done really well getting up so early and moving on,  we’ve missed all the traffic and are heading south on a motorway. We don’t think we’ll make Luxor, but that’s where we’re heading. My bike’s got a fuel range of approx 250 miles, and as I click the fuel onto the reserve tank, 90 miles after that fuel stop Rob wanted to do, I’m getting really nervous. I’m starting to make plans in my head, we’ve both got a five litre jerry can of fuel strapped to the back of the bikes. Perhaps one of us should use both cans, and then head on to try and get enough fuel to get us both going. Thankfully, we hit a town, and on the opposite side of the road we spot a petrol station, and it looks like it has fuel (we stopped at an empty one 50 miles ago). There’s a central reservation separating us, but I reckon there’ll be a station exiting the other side of town too. Feeling rejuvenated, I head on for this other station. Looking in my mirrors, I see Rob doing a u turn. OK, he’s going back, hmm, what should I do, I’ve missed the u turn (there's a central reservation).
Earlier in the day, cruising down the highway, we stop at a toll booth. Sometimes (usually) they wave us through, on the bikes. This time they want five Egyptian pounds per bike. Rob’s closest, and I’ve got the kitty, so he grabs my wallet and hands the guys a 50. Looks like they’ve only given him 25 back, and Rob is getting angry! Everyone’s getting angry! Rob hands me back my wallet and the notes from the change, and we head on. He’s clearly miffed, shouting at the toll booth guys as he pulls away.
So, I decide to pull over and wait a bit for Rob. No sign of him though, he must’ve gone to that station we passed. A bit annoyed I head back, keeping an eye out for him, but no sign. I pull into the station and he isn’t there. Hmm. Perhaps he then went on and we passed each other on the road. I fill up, have a little laugh to myself at the notes in my pocket, and head after him.
I pass the petrol station on the other side of town, no sign of him there, presumably he’s headed off after me! Who knows, the hilarity is, there’s only one road to Luxor, so one way or another, we’re both on it probably wondering if the other is ahead or behind! I got very surprised though, a London black cab!
I’ve had a really good time on the road, some parts of the motorway aren’t surfaced, and they break up the monotony of the day. Kirsty is loving the unsurfaced roads, kicking up a rooster tail of dust and passing all the other vehicles which slow down. And it’s pretty cool to have some riding to yourself and your map. I’m hoping Rob’s OK, I’ve no way of contacting him until this evening.
Safely into Luxor by about four, I find a hotel easily and have a wander. Luxor is immediately preferable to Cairo, much more chilled. And about six Rob emails, he’s made it to Luxor, not sure where he is though. I’m looking forwards to the Valley of the Kings!
Oh, and the change from the toll? Two tens and one 20 (which looks very much like a five), they had the change right after all...

No comments:

Post a Comment