Saturday 24 November 2012


Day 51: Mbaya – Serenje, Zambia
For once, not much to report! The border was reached in about an hour, and passed very easily. It was quite busy, queues of tankers, but I swept by them and fumbled my way through the system. A fixer offered his services, but I declined, then immediately wished I’d used him, but was then glad I didn’t. It was a piece of cake!
Excited about being in Zambia, another new country, and I’m heading cautiously deeper into the land. The roads are pretty quiet, and occasionally there are pothole fields. The scenery is reminiscent of England and the South Downs, but on a much larger scale. To give you an idea of how little there is to report, I haven’t taken a single pic.
I did have a small repair to carry out, one of the fuel filters failed and was leaking. So I removed it and fortunately there was enough fuel line to make up the gap. And we managed to cover about 480 miles today!
Some odd thoughts I had today were about me being here. It’s quite often the case that I’m the only white person, and I often stop in odd locations due to time of day (for fuel, bed, food). The stops aren’t really on the tourist route. Sometimes it’s quite funny, people just staring. I don’t know if it’s because they’ve never seen a white person before, or someone in such bad clothes, or someone with such a stupid moustache. Speaking of which, Mr.Mo is starting to get out of control! I have to start considering the reality of trimming him (unlikely with my poor selection of cutting implements), or getting rid of him completely. I guess it’ll be the later, although I’ll miss looking more stupid than usual and hope it doesn’t take anything away from my personality...
I should also point out, that the locals speak better English than about 80% of Brits!
Lusaka tomorrow, I’ve got to try and get a new rear tyre, and clean Kirsty and myself up in readiness for our guest...

Btw, how many legs does one creature need!?

No comments:

Post a Comment