Saturday 17 November 2012


Day 45 Laisamis – Jungle Junction, Nairobi
Well, the 15 meter wide river that’s running past my room definitely wasn’t there last night. That, is crazy. I heard the rain, but didn’t realise how much there was, unbelievable. The UK should take note about water management...




After two days of this hellish road, I’m coming towards the end of my tether. The only thing keeping me going is the thought of seeing friends and family back in the uk, and that this road may only have 20 miles left. Doesn’t sound much does it? But it’s still got a sting in it’s tail. The ‘road’ is now slippery and corrugated, I’m spending most of the morning with the bike sliding and me shouting obscenities. But, just as I’m ready to give up, over one more crest, I see it. A dead straight black line, about 700 meters ahead. That, can only be one thing. Tarmacadum. You, legend.
Hitting the tarmac has three massive benefits:
1-      I feel like I’ve won the lottery, it’s amazing.
2-      I can see the Kenyan scenery, it’s breathtaking.
3-      I feel like it’s going to be possible to finish this trip!

Kirsty feels a little odd though, and in the next time I notice why, the luggage rack has cracked, damnit! Although, it takes only 10-15 minutes to get it fixed, and about £8. Sweet, good work Kirsty!
We say good bye to Brian and Anna over brunch. We’ve had a really good time travelling together, and actually helped each other out when stuck. It’s odd to be on my own again, but equally very enjoyable. I’m heading to Jungle Junction, and the views along the road are nothing short of epic. Clouds crashing into the sides of mountains, and the evilness of the clouds is astonishing. I half expect a Hollywood alien spaceship to break through at any minute and start blowing stuff up. This really is indescribable, you’ve got to see it one day...
Jungle Junction is a big stop over for travellers and overlanders alike. There are about five tents in the back garden and 10-12 4x4s in the front garden. There’s also a motorcycle workshop, and Chris, the German owner, reassures me they have the necessary parts to rebuild Kirsty’s carb which he says will be knackered after the mileage and roads we’ve done. So, the mechanics don’t work on Sunday, so I’ll be stripping Kirsty down, giving her a thorough check and pulling out her carb and taking off one of her forks so they can be serviced. Awesome!
I may even venture into Nairobi for a bit of exploring... 

No comments:

Post a Comment