Saturday 17 November 2012


Day 44: Marsabit – Laisamis
64 miles, in six hours.
I’m woken at about four, by the rain. And oh my god it’s raining, torrential. This, really puts the cat amongst the pigeons...


About seven Brian knocks on the door, and we grab some breakfast. Looking out the window, people’s umbrellas are being blown inside out, and the clay mud road is looking disastrous. Ken, one of the staff, has offered to take us to some mechanics. So, we get along with that first. Even that short journey is treacherous, and the vehicles get caked in mud. I really don’t know what to do here, Ken says it’s going to rain until December. And that road, with a drop of rain, is impassable for me. OK, I’ll fix Kirsty and find someone with a truck to get me to the tarmac.
By the time Kirsty and the 4x4 are fixed, it’s almost two, but the rain stopped this morning and a passing 4x4 is kicking up dust. Brian and I agree to just go, taking a chance. And it pays off. Other than the road being an absolute bastard of corrugations, it’s passable. I get approx three glances away from the ‘road’, and the scenery looks amazing, shame I can’t afford to take it in. 50 miles in, and I’ve two more victims of the abuse. The tool kit has fallen off, and a bolt holding the luggage has sheered.  So with nothing better to do, I sit in Kirsty’s shadow and read my book whilst I await rescue again. The 4x4 turns up, we drill out the frame, bolt Kirsty back up, and we’re off.
Rolling into Laisamis, I wait for the guys to catch me, and get surrounded by kids. They’re curious, and good fun. Such a difference from Ethiopia. Unfortunately, a local guy comes over and takes us to a lodge. He tries to charge us five times what the owner wants, and is literally on drugs. He won’t let go of the 4x4 when we drive off, and B and A have to head to a police check point to get rid of him, wanker...

No comments:

Post a Comment