Saturday 24 November 2012


Day 48: Jungle Junction – Moshi, Kilimanjaro,Tanzania (Tan-zane-e-ah)
First things first, I take Kirsty for a quick test ride and refuel. All seems good, so back to the ranch, load up and head off.
Kenya has had some stunning highlights, and some ghastly lows, which will probably become highlights of the trip. But Nairobi hasn’t been especially kind to me, and I’m leaving feeling tense. As a departing comment, Christophe advises me of the extremely dangerous roads in Tanzania. So now I’m nervous about leaving, and nervous about the next country too.
The border comes up in an easy 60 miles, I’m happy to have negotiated the Nairobi traffic, but it was no big deal. The border crossing is brilliantly easy. Stamp stamp out, stamp stamp in. Why can’t every African country be like this! Although if they were, I’m sure it’d take away from the trip.
Tanzania is off to impress early, and I don’t think I’ve ever been more impressed in my life. I’ve seen big mountains before, but never like this. Kilimanjaro is a beast of a mountain. Made all the more spectacular by it’s surroundings. There aren’t any. Most mountains are in mountain ranges, and you see a peak, but it’s just one of many. Kilimanjaro is surrounded by plains, and sprouts out of nowhere and smashes it’s way into and through the sky. It’s vast, so vast you can’t see it without having to pan your head from side to side. Whilst other mountain ranges gently rise, and eventually the cloud meets them, here it’s a different story. There isn’t a cloud in the sky, but such is the size of the mountain, it’s drenched in angry clouds, as if the sky is trying to fight back but has been to slow to act. Mightily impressed.
Kirsty isn’t running perfectly though, and I want to check things out before it’s dark, so we pull off the road after 230 miles to have a look under the hood. All seems OK, a few tweaks here and there, lets hope she’s a little better for tomorrow J And lets hope I find better accommodation tomorrow. This hotel is sh*t! But what do I expect for £5.80 per night, inc breakfast...

No comments:

Post a Comment