Thursday 8 November 2012


Day 35: Merowe – Khartoum
Up at the break of dawn after a great night’s sleep, we do a little exploring of Merowe. First though, I try and ride my bike up a massive sand hill. I do better than I expected, about three quarters of the way, and I don’t get stuck! Then, into the pyramids. We’re the only ones there, it’s quite a nice experience, but I must admit I’ve seen quite a few tombs/temples now and my sense of wonder has dispersed.
We agree on stopping twice on the way to Khartoum, once at Gharta and once at Narak. Flying down the road, Rob leading, I see the sign for Gharta, Rob flies by, I follow and then notice no one else following. I pull over and wait for Rob, but he’s long gone, so I head back and regroup with The Others. A quick drink and we head to the temple. It’s a 30km across country drive, no tarmac, lots of random paths, and some patches of soft sand. It takes ages, but it’s pretty good fun, completely in the wild riding across sand and dirt. We lose Rob Roy at some point, and when we get to the temple after about an hour, it hasn’t been worth it! But it’s been fun, so we set of for the second temple. This one isn’t far, but it’s across a dried up river bed, and as we approach my bike starts sinking! Turning away from the river bed, and out of the incredibly soft sand, I’m OK. But looking ahead, Ray (one of the aussie’s) is in a bit of trouble. His 3.5t 4x4 is sinking rather than moving, doh. Quick sit rep, I can’t help, so try and get across the river, and then watch the guys work it out. Brian ends up towing Ray out, but it takes about an hour, it’s completely out of nowhere and just highlights how dangerous these conditions can be. But I’m well adjusted to them now, and am flying along, until I feel the front wheel going odd, puncture. We’ll make it to the temple, and I’ll sort it whilst the others look around.
Disastrously, I’ve brought two rear inner tubes, rather than one front one rear. And it’s my front that’s gone. No worries, I’ve two repair kits. Brilliantly the first kit isn’t working, but thankfully the second one does. We’re an hour from the road, I don’t really want to be stuck here, and I’m parched from working on the bike in the heat, not sweet. But just as I’m putting it all back together, the guys come back, all disappointed with the temple! No worries, we head off. And the riding back is fun, firing across the loose dirt and gravel, Kirsty is dancing and we’re having a great time, yeeee haw! After what seems all day, we hit the tarmac, Khartoum is a couple of hours away. Rob Roy has reported in, he’s there already. And we’re in hot pursuit, for the first hour. Then, whilst pulling back into my lane after passing a lorry, the front of my bike tucks under, but not quite enough to have me off. The front’s gone down again, that was close. We’re sixty miles out, I’ll try and pump it up and drive carefully rather than taking the wheel off again. I do this three more times before making it safely to camp, but we make it, to the Blue Nile Yacht Club, high five!



Tomorrow will be a rest day, and also a chance to get a couple of replacement inner tubes and a puncture repair kit, before we head for Ethiopia....

No comments:

Post a Comment