Thursday 20 December 2012


Day 78: Wilderness – Oudtshoorn
A healthy breakfast (muesli and yoghurt) with the most stunning views, a great start to the day. And I’m aware that the days are fast running out. It’s going to be a shock to the system the end of this trip, I’m having the best time ever! Oudtshoorn is only about 50 miles away, but I’ve a few activities for the day, and it leaves a nice run into Cape Town, perfect.
The road running north from the coast towards Oudtshorn is brilliant. We’re going up into the mountains, and I so wish I had more appropriate tires to really enjoy it. But as is, it’s still great fun and highly recommended. 10km outside of Oudt, I see a sign for Ostrich Rides, suhweet! My first activity of the day!

This, has got to be one of the most hilarious experiences ever, it’s utterly brilliant. You’ve got to do it! There’s a weight limit though, but fortunately I’m 80kg (ahem) sir. Mounting the beast is amazing. A hood is placed over the creatures head, to keep it calm, and then I mount it from behind. It’s legs are so powerful, it doesn’t even notice, and before you can say “Wait a sec”, the handler pulls the hood off. Booya, freedom, run!! Is what I imagine the bird is thinking as it launches itself forwards. Wooooooo hoooooooooo, I’m riding an ostrich! For about three seconds, before being turfed off the back and onto the dirt. And, unfortunately, falling off the big bird is exactly like falling off a motorbike. To the point where I land on exactly the same bruises, ouch.
I’m offered another go, but I’m actually hurting quite a bit and decline. Although, I pretend to be perfectly OK.
Utterly brilliant fun though, and rolling into town ten minutes later, I find my hostel and get into the pool as quickly as poss to ease the bruises.
And as my second activity was going for a ride into the mountains, I skip that to help my bruises recover!

For dinner? Ostrich kebab of course J

No comments:

Post a Comment