Friday 14 December 2012


Day 72: Keetmanshoop – Venrhynsdorp, RSA
A brilliant, brilliant day J
Up early, fed, washed, packed and on the road by ten to eight. At ten past eight, I’m stopped, this trip is turning into the puncture fest! It’s a rear this time, and half an hour later we’re rolling again. It’s not the best start to the day, but then I remember I had Oryx for dinner last night and I’m a very happy camper again!
Cape Town is probably just out of reach, but that’s cool, time is now on our side.
It’s a cool start weather wise, and the first few roads are arrow straight. I hope this isn’t the end of my trip, just chasing horizons. But, it doesn’t matter, I am feeling exhilarated. I’ve got my favourite 50 songs lined up, and I’m so looking forwards to RSA, the penultimate country of the trip (the UK under your own steam, being the final, and most important stop). But after half an hour, things start to change a little. Mountains come in to view, and whilst they aren’t the Andes or the Pyrenees, they are a very welcome change.

It’s a beautiful ride to the border, and the border crossing is the easiest outside of Europe. A trade agreement between Namibia and RSA means I don’t need to worry about Kirsty, but I think I manage to screw up my entry. I stamp in at immigration, and then ride to the border gate. The lady takes my slip and waves me through. But in the back of my mind, I’m worried about the blank space on that slip. I think I should’ve gone and got another stamp from the cops, and the lady missed I didn’t have it. Hmm, we’ll work that out in Cape Town.
RSA opens it’s books brilliantly, good roads and some beautiful scenery. It’s a welcome change after the last few days. And the mountains remind me of my first African country on this trip, the Sinai region in Egypt...
I’m so excited, Kirsty is utterly brilliant! Whilst I’ve been looking to the end of the trip in recent days, now I’m looking beyond it. A few alterations to Kirsty and she’ll be fit for another trip some day, but I’ve got work to get on top of back in the UK. But most of all, a Christmas with all the family! Although Mam won’t be pleased, I’ve left her Christmas present in Windhoek L
Today has been a perfect day for me, perfect roads, perfect bike, perfect weather (although 36c is much hotter when stationary) and, as much as I’ve very much enjoyed everyone’s company along the way, riding alone brings a certain peace and comfort to the journey. And it’s fitting. I set off from Eastbourne on my own, and now I’m riding into Cape Town that way too.  Just over 200 miles to the end.
And to top it all off, we’re finishing the trip as we started it, my first meal in RSA? Nando’s of course!

No comments:

Post a Comment