Friday 14 December 2012


Day 73: Venrhynsdorp – Cape Town
A brilliant kind of end to the trip. I’ll be flying out of Cape Town, but this visit it’s only really a stopover. I’ve still got the garden route and some great whites to see yet. But still, my excitement as I set off is that of making the finish.
I haven’t set myself a big task, about 200 miles. And it’s a really nice way in. About 100 miles or so of vineyards and the topography that go with them. I’d love to drop in for a glass, but ten past eight is a little early. Pressing on, all the omens are good. The perfect roads, through the perfect scenery, the first few oncoming vehicles all give me the thumbs up, a beautiful start.
Before long I spy Table Top Mountain, and the whole trip starts flowing through my mind. Tearing across Europe, sailing to Egypt, through Sudan and further south to CT. But I will save my trip thoughts for the flight home.
I kind of feel like the trip is over though, the pressure of making it evaporating as I filter into the thickening soup like traffic a big city has protecting it. Stopping to turn on the GPS which will guide me to the overlanders camp, it’s pretty straight forwards. I’m greeted by Duncan, the camp owner and also the chap who’ll be responsible for getting Kirsty home. But first, I have a holiday, to mark the end of the trip. As, this is what I’ve decided to call my final nine days....

No comments:

Post a Comment